Prior to excavation, excavators verify that they are at the correct location, verify locate markings and, to the best of their ability, check for unmarked facilities.
Upon arrival at the excavation site and prior to beginning the excavation, an excavator does the following:
- Verifies that the dig site matches the one call request and is timely
- Verifies that all facilities have been marked and reviews color codes if in doubt
- Verifies all service feeds from buildings and homes
- Checks for any visible signs of underground facilities, such as pedestals, risers, meters, and new trench lines
- Checks for any facilities that are not members of the one call center and contact someone to get them located.
Use of a pre-excavation checklist is recommended by insurers and practiced by responsible excavating contractors.
- Existing practice by excavators, including Pauley Construction and W.F. Wilson & Sons, Inc.