Locators are properly trained. Locator training is documented.
Minimum training guidelines and practices are adopted for locator training. These guidelines and practices include the following:
- Understanding system design/prints/technology
- Understanding construction standards and practices for all types of facilities
- Equipment training and techniques
- Plant recognition training
- Theory of locating
- Daily operations
- Facility owner/excavator relationships and image
- Safety procedures per Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations/federal, state/provincial and local laws
- Written and field testing
- Field training
- Annual retesting
The National Utility Locating Contractors Association (NULCA) Locator Training Standards and Practices represent an accepted model within the locate industry. Documentation of all training is maintained to ensure that facility locators have been properly trained.